Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What did I miss?

I have just finished 2 books that I read simultaneously. They are both about men who have done drugs. I bought one at the airport when my flight was delayed, and the kids' aunt saw me reading it and suggested this one:

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. It was pretty good, although it was super graphic and super open. It was his story of a 6 week rehab stay.
















Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris is about a gay man and his struggles, achievements and funny stories through his drug years. It's not dark like James Frey's, rather, it sees the humor in all of it.














--BUT--

This is what I did notice. Am I like the only one in my world who has not experimented with drugs?


Don't get me wrong, I have definitely heard some funny stories about acid trips and shrooms and pot and whatever else is a popular party drug. I also do not judge when I hear the not-so-funny stories because someone got into some huge trouble because of it.




So, as I was reading these books and talking (to apparently everyone who has a huge party past) I realized that I don't have any of those stories. My acquaintances were all taking turns laughing about "remember when...." and "Dude, how bout when...."


I had NO clue what they were talking about or why the heck falling down stairs or puking is funny. I do drink close to a whole beer a year, (by myself) so I didn't even have any of those types of stories!






I cannot relate to these poor choices my friends made as youths and young adults. (I was too busy making my own poor choices...lol!) Did I miss something? I sort of feel like I want some funny drunken drug stories to tell...


Just kidding! Just, will someone that I love and respect PLEASE comment and tell me that I am not the only loser who doesn't have these stories?!?


I have KID stories. I can talk about kids 'til the cows come home.








Oh, and if someone wants the copy of Me Talk Pretty One Day, let me know and you can have it. It wasn't my kind of story.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Ha! I just wrote my "other blog" about surviving the teen years! Ha! I've never been drunk and I've never done drugs. Ha! So count me among the losers! ha!

Krista said...

I forgot to tell you that the James Frey book is actually fiction. Oprah had him on his show and he lied about it being his true story and then he confessed it was fiction. So, don't believe all those bloated "Dude, I was so stoned!" stories! They're probably that - stories! And people like us don't need to get drunk to have fun!

Hi!

Hi!
This is the coolest dog ever!